HSH Nordbank at a glance
HSH Nordbank – the "Bank for entrepreneurs"
As the "Bank for entrepreneurs" HSH Nordbank represents people possessing foresight, passion and initiative. In particular, it is a competent partner for medium-sized entrepreneurs in their northern German home region and in German metropolitan areas, in both business and personal matters.
HSH Nordbank has extensive expertise complemented by a long-standing experience of the corporate client business at its disposal. In this important pillar it focuses principally on the Infrastructure & Logistics, Trade & Food and Industry, Services and Healthcare sectors. It is also among the major finance providers of Renewable Energies and Utilities in Europe and occupies a leading position in commercial real estate finance in Germany, which it makes available to domestic and international clients. In the maritime industry HSH Nordbank is well established and convinces businesses the world over with its know-how, level of service and commitment.
Tailored financing solutions and customised products to meet the requirements of entrepreneurs are among the range of services offered by HSH Nordbank. Beyond traditional loans the Bank provides complex structured finance, risk and investment management and products to its wealth management clients. State-of-the-art payment and treasury functions complying with the highest security standards through the Banking App support our clients in their day-to-day business activities. Competent advice in M&A and on all facets of foundation management round off the Bank's service offerings.
Established on 2 June 2003, HSH Nordbank AG is the result of the merger between Hamburgische Landesbank and Landesbank Schleswig-Holstein. The Bank had 2,030 employees (full time) on 30 June 2017.
We are ...
... where our clients are: in our home region of North Germany, in the metropolitan regions of Germany and in selected foreign locations. The two head offices of the Bank are located in Hamburg and Kiel.
HSH Nordbank Locations
Group key financials (IFRS)
|30 Jun 2017||31 Dec 2016|
|Total assets (€ bn)||79.3||84.4|
|Common Equity Tier 1 ratio (in %, phase in)||18.9||14.1|
|Group net income before taxes (€ mn)||173||121|
For further content swipe table to left or right.
Here you can find information about theMoody's and Fitch.
Guarantee system of the Savings Banks Finance Group
As a member of the German Savings Bank and Giro Association (DSGV), HSH Nordbank AG is covered by the support fund of the state banks and the guarantee system of the Savings Banks Finance Group.
HSH Nordbank business areas
HSH Nordbank’s success is based on a strong Core Bank in which our key business areas are pooled. As a bank for entrepreneurs, we are in especially close touch with our clients - which are mostly small and medium-sized enterprises.
Total volume of the client business of the Core Bank – Percentage (EaD*-)distribution on business divisions as at 30 June 2017, *EaD = Exposure at Default
Real Estate Clients – On secure foundations
367 TRANSACTIONS our REAL ESTATE DIVISION reviewed merely in the first half of 2017 and concluded 77 of these with its eye on a good risk/return profile - quality over quantity. We succeeded in gaining new clients for 22 percent of these deals. All told, we are among the leading banks for financing commercial real estate projects in Germany and are frequently involved in innovative projects – such as the big Woodie accomodation in the Hamburg district of Wilhelmsburg and apartments for temporary living.
Treasury & Markets – ideas for all
ABOUT EURO 100 MILLION TREASURY & MARKETS contributed from its primary business to the Bank’s total income in the first half of 2017. This division develops capital market products that go beyond pure loans and it also regards itself as a service provider within the Bank. Also located at Treasury & Markets: the activities involving our funding.
Corporate Clients – focussed, specialised
EURO 1.64 BILLION of new business our Corporate Clients division concluded in the first half of 2017 - an increase of 16 percent year on year. The new customers share thereby being 21 percent. In other words, our strategy with clearly defined focus sectors, including project finance involving Renewable Energy and Infrastructure, is paying off.
SHIPPING – NEW STANDARDS
70% of the Shipping portfolio in our Core Bank comprises foreign counterparties, 30 percent are domestic. Although SHIPPING is still an important division in our Core Bank with a volume of about six billion euros, this figure is sharply lower than it was in the past. At new business we are extremely conservative and put value on diversification and in-depth risk control. Shipping has good prospects in the long term - maritime transport is the backbone of growing global trade.
- Corporate client business for upper medium-sized enterprises with long-term client focus and in-depth sector expertise. Growing standing among family-run companies across Germany
- Project financing business in Germany
- Our focal industry sectors where we have particular expertise: healthcare, food, trading, infrastructure & logistics/rail and energy & utilities
- Considerable expertise and extensive product range covering all issues that are important to our clients
- Competent, solution-oriented partner for corporate finance products
We offer solutions for Corporate Clients:
Real Estate Clients
- Recognised industry sector specialist with considerable market expertise, among the top 5 commercial real estate financers in Germany
- Relationship approach with long-term client relationships based on trust
- All credit and other banking products that are relevant to real estate companies
- Focus on Northern Germany with supra-regional activities in the regions surrounding major cities
- All-in solutions for wealthy and high net worth private clients
- Wealth management at the level of leading global managers of private and institutional assets
- Advising foundations and non-profit organisations as well as in the areas of social investment and philanthropy
- Over 75 years of industry sector expertise
- Our financing offerings include long-term ship mortgage loans, corporate financing and structured ship financing.
- Focussing on solutions tailored to specific needs in the main sectors of container vessels, tankers and bulk carriers, but also in the area of special vessels - in particular in the offshore segment.
Saving Banks & Institutional Clients
- Comprehensive consulting services for savings banks in their core business segments “private and corporate clients”, treasury/depot-A-management as well as loan portfolio management
- Demand-oriented solutions to savings banks specific challenges
- Provider of innovative products and services
Treasury & Markets
- Efficient and innovative provider of products for all client segments
- Profound know-how in capital-market products, especially involving risk-management solutions focused on interest rates and foreign exchange
- Funding and liquidity management